I’ve been brewing up several thing this week, but the one I finished before my self-set deadline was a mod I’ve been making for a friend, for the Binding of Isaac: Rebirth.
This is the beginning of an adventure I’m writing up, once again for the same guy. It’s set in a typical fantasy setting, and centers on a mansion, whose inhabitants are up to crazy things. In particular, the prompt was to have a gnome mechanic, whose constructs wreak havoc on the poor mansion-mates. I have a good idea on the rest of the cast, and the floorplan of the mansion, so it’s likely that the next thing coming up will be a the map, but because of how intertwined everything can be in such interactive stories, only time will truly tell.
This one was longer than I expected it to be, and I still think I could have made it longer. The gravedigger’s memoirs in particular are a point I know I could have expanded upon, but ultimately felt that the town didn’t need as much characterization as it could get. Maybe sometime later, if we revisit this town, the account will be more in depth, but for now the story still centers on characterising the Doctor. This one was still a tad on the dry side, but the next one should be both shorter, and more peopled.
And now to your regularly scheduled programming. This is going to be a longer story, which is why I decided to partition the showing of it into chunks that are laxly manageable for me to write. I’m hoping to maybe fool myself into thinking I’m doing a variety of things, by oscillating between the two projects, the game and this story. It’s just, that doing the same thing all the time quickly gets boring, and while I can keep doing boring things for quite a time, there’s just so much out there to do, that can be pleasurable and does not have to be boring. Anyway, This here is also my first step into LaTeX, which I’m already beginning to love. What I’m doing with it here is likely a bold underuse, but I’m training on the use of it for other areas of my life. If you don’t know what it is, and you ever felt there was too little programming in using regular text editors, give it a try. It’s pretty and challenging.
Going back on topic, the story I’m presenting here right now is one of a Plague Doctor roaming the countryside in a time period I haven’t pinpointed yet. I take it the first few chapters will be mostly character reveal, then possibly some human drama, and only then will the obstacle be presented. What I’m trying to say is, this will be a slow-burner. I’ll likely be deploying the story onto this blog chapter by chapter, because for now, they seem to be doing a steady 1.5k words. If they’ll tend to go shorter, I’ll try for the updates to keep a steady amount of words.
I personally don’t want to say all too much about the substance of the story itself, because I have so many ideas planned that I don’t want to spoil/overhype the reading of the coming chapters. I want the reader to be a relatively blank slate when reading, in contrast with the short stories I wrote beforehands, where this veiling of story points varied. I’ll likely create a summary of what I tried to imbue into the text by the end of my journey to its creation.
The continuation of yesterday’s blip. I’m not thinking of making blips a regularity, but I do a lot of stuff not related to this blog, so if I do something tangential again, I might post it as another.
It’s just a quick deviation from normal. I’ve written some characters as ideas for an internet friend, and thought they might be interesting to whoever might be reading this blog, as they are something similar to short stories. Not short-stories. Somewhat similar.
Update on the game: